Summary of Key Points:
- The SMOK RPM 5 offers 6.5ml pod capacity, a 0.96” TFT colour screen, and a new sliding top-fill system, along with a design that sets it apart fro SMOK’s Nord and Novo pod systems.
- The RPM 5 uses USB-C fast charging and has an integrated 2000 mAh battery. A full charge can last for nearly 5 hours of continuous use at the right settings.
- The RPM 5 is compatible with RPM3 series coils. To help your coils last longer, always prime them before use, avoid super-sweet e-liquids, and hold back from chain-vaping.
- The RPM 5 is ideal for e-liquids with a higher ratio of VG to PG. Using e-liquids with too much PG to VG may increase the risk of your device leaking, since these e-juices tend to be thinner.
The SMOK RPM 5 is a versatile pod vape device with an ergonomic design, variable output, and sophisticated airflow controls—making it a welcome addition to SMOK’s high-quality product lineup But the RPM 5 also represents something of a departure for the brand, with a noticeably different look than its Nord and Novo pod systems.
We’re guessing you’ve got more than a few questions about how to get the best experience from this device, so we’ve put together this handy FAQ to help clear up the biggest mysteries surrounding the RPM 5. Read on as we walk you through its features, colours, key specs, and more.
What Comes In the SMOK RPM 5 Device Kit?
Each SMOK RPM 5 Kit includes:
- 1 x RPM 5 Pod System
- 1 x RPM 5 Replacement Pod
- 1x Meshed 0.15ohm Coil (Preinstalled)
- 1x Meshed 0.23ohm Coil
- 1 x Type-C Charging Cable
- 1 x User Manual
What Are the SMOK RPM 5’s Key Features?
The RPM 5 comes with a few bells and whistles that set it apart from other popular SMOK vapes. Here are a few of the standouts:
- 6.5ml pod capacity
- A 0.96” TFT colour screen
- A new sliding top-fill system
- Intelligent pod detection
How Does the RPM 5 Compare to the Nord 5?
The RPM and Nord series are both into their 5th generation devices now, but how do they stack up against each other? Here are the key similarities and differences:
Both devices feature:
- An integrated 2000 mAh battery
- USB-C charging
- Maximum output of 80W
- An LED battery life indicator light
- Press-fit coil installation
- Magnetic pod connection
- Short-circuit & low voltage protection
- An 8-second cutoff to prevent overdrawing
- Compatible with SMOK RPM3 coils
|Nord Pro||Nord 5|
|Screen||0.96” TFT colour screen||0.69” TFT colour screen|
|Filling||Sliding top-fill system||Bottom-fill system|
|Pod Capacity (ml)||6.5||5|
|Dimensions (mm)||122.5 x 31.2 x 29.5||105 x 32.5 x 23.74|
What Colours Does the SMOK RPM 5 Come In?
The SMOK RPM 5 device is available in:
- Brown Leather
- Grey Leather
- Black Leather
- Matte Gun Metal
- Beige White Leather
- Prism Rainbow
How Long Will It Take to Charge My RPM 5’s Battery?
The SMOK RPM 5 takes about 1.25 hours to charge using the USB-C charging cable that comes with the device.
Can I Use a Different Charger to Charge My RPM 5?
We recommend that you only use the charger supplied with your device, since it was designed specifically to charge the RPM 5 safely. Attempting to charge your device with a higher-voltage charger will not result in a faster charge—in fact, it could damage the battery and make your device less efficient (or completely inoperable).
How Long Does a Full Battery Last on the SMOK RPM 5?
We’ve managed to get nearly 5 hours of use from our RPM 5s with a full charge—as long as we’re not constantly using the highest output settings. Dialing it up to 60W with the supplied 0.15 ohm coil still gets you about 4.5 hours of continuous vape time, but anything past 70W will likely lower your battery’s performance without adding much to your experience. Learn more about this in our SMOK’s RPM 5 unboxing and review.
How Do I Adjust the Wattage on My SMOK RPM 5?
As a variable wattage device, the RPM 5 lets you adjust the output from 5W-80W. Here’s how to do it:
- Press the fire button 5 times to power the device up
- Use the wattage buttons at the bottom of the screen to dial the wattage up or down in 1W increments
How Does the Screen on the SMOK RPM 5 Work?
The 0.96” TFT colour screen on the RPM 5 displays the following info:
- Remaining battery life
- Puff count
- Current session time
You can also change the colour of the screen by pressing “fire” and “+” at the same time. The RPM 5 gives you several different options to help you customize your experience.
How Do I Adjust the Airflow of My RPM 5?
The RPM 5 is built with a slider that lets you customize the amount of airflow you get with each draw. To use it, simply push the slider near the top of the device to open it (for more air) or close it (for less).
How Long Will My Coils & Pods Last?
The RPM 5 uses RPM3 series coils—and the length of time they last for will differ depending on your individual habits. Most moderate users report getting 1-3 weeks of use from each coil, but here are a few tips you can use to help the coils in your device last as long as possible:
- Always prime new coils before use
- Avoid e-liquids saturated with sweeteners
- Don’t chain vape (take numerous draws one after the other in a short period of time)
What E-Liquid Should I Use with My SMOK RPM 5?
When used with the included 0.15ohm and 0.23ohm coils, your RPM 5 will tend to work best with e-liquids that have a higher ratio of VG to PG. These liquids tend to be thicker, which reduces the possibility of e-liquid leaking from the device during use.
What If My RPM 5 Leaks?
The RPM 5’s pods are designed for minimum leakage, but leaks can still occur if you misuse your device. Avoid the following for best results:
- Overdrawing: the 8-second cutoff on the RPM 5 prevents you from drawing for too long, but you can still suck e-liquid into the mouthpiece before it has a chance to vapourize if you draw too hard. Light suction is all it takes to enjoy big clouds of vapour with this device.
- Using PG-heavy e-liquids: e-juices with higher PG concentrations are usually thinner than those with more VG, and these e-liquids may leak from your device more easily than thicker ones. Stick to e-liquids with an even ratio, or err on the side of more VG.
- Overfilling: trying to fit too much e-liquid into your pod can result in leaks. We recommend only filling the pod up to 80% of its full capacity to minimize this risk.
How Should I Prime the Coil in My RPM 5?
Priming new coils in your device before using them for the first time helps them last longer by preventing burnout. To prime your coils, cover them in 4-5 drops of e-liquid and wait for 10 minutes before firing the device up.